"Swany" Svanfríður Eygló Arnardóttir, MS, LPCC
Living in three different countries has gifted me insight into other cultures and perspectives, each strengthening my cultural competence. Seeking therapy might not be easy, but I recognize it as personal strength, resilience, and hope; these are the components I utilize in my therapeutic approach. Furthermore, I believe that when seeking therapy, you must be met where you are at. As a person-centered, strength-based therapist, I believe that you seek therapy with the hope, want, desire, and intent to fulfill your potential by working through and processing the various life challenges you have faced. Throughout my professional life, I have worked with a diverse client population who have taught and shown me how different their experiences have impacted their reactions, responses, thoughts, behaviors, and often life choices. Through non-judgment, empathy, education, and genuine and unconditional positive regard, I assist the client in finding their way to positive change.
Issues: Life changes, Ex-Cult members, Religious Trauma, Sexual, Physical, Emotional Abuse
Treatment Approaches: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Eclectic, Person-Centered, Existential, Strength Based, Positive Psychology, Trauma Focused , Solution Focused Age: 16+
Member of: Religious Trauma Institute and CALPCC
Specialties: Trauma/PTSD, Grief ,Stress, Anger, Issues: Life changes, Ex-Cult members, Religious Trauma, Sexual, Physical, Emotional Abuse
I am most passionate about working with refugees, immigrants, and individuals who have experienced trauma. I love spending time with family and friends outside of work. Hiking, reading, gardening, and reading/watching material on WWII/Holocaust are what I am most interested in.
- I am a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC 11191) and registered with the Board of Behavioral Science, CA
- Bachelor's Degree in Music Education- Reykjavik College of Music, Iceland
- Master's Degree in Mental Health Counseling- Capella University
- Certified as a trainer in Domestic Violence and Trauma Counseling.
- Continuing education credits:
- Law and Ethics,
- Domestic Violence,
- Child Abuse,
- Aging and Senior issues
- Working with Core Beliefs of ‘Never Good Enough.’
- Licensed Clinical Counselor at Norina Verduzco- Murphy, MSW, LCSW & Associates
- Behavioral Health Program Supervisor at A Greater Hope
- Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor at A Greater Hope
- Associate Clinical Therapist at A Greater Hope
- Clinical Social Worker (CSW) at A Greater Hope
- Mental Health Counselor Associate at New Horizon Counseling
- Mental Health Counselor Intern at New Horizon Counseling
- Volunteer at Family Assistance Program
- Volunteer at Turning Point Domestic Violence Shelter, Woodstock, IL
- Music Teacher for elementary schools, pre-schools, colleges in Iceland.
- Volunteer at The Icelandic Red Cross and Social Services